Ratti Fort 1830/1840

Forte Ratti, located at 560 meters above sea level on the ridge of the mountain placed as a watershed between the Bisagno valley and the Sturla valley, represents one of the major fortifications built in the eastern sector of the City.
The position where the Fort was built in 1747 housed the redoubts and the entrenchments built to face the Imperial troops led by General Schulenborg who, in the month of June, after beating the Company commanded by Galeotto Pallavicini (who died fighting in Val Bisagno on the 18th of the same month) at Serra di Bavari, had reached the Bocca dei Ratti; Here the road was opened to them for the conquest of the mountain and, from the opposite side, to invest the defenses of the Camaldoli, of the Madonna del Monte and of San Giuliano d’Albaro, “in which places the Genoese trenches dominated, so much so that the Lancers became the lords of the disputed strait of the Ratti, and at daybreak the Genoese were able to see all the heights that overlook the Val Bisagno at the mercy of the enemy”.
The Genoese regained the position in the following month, at the urging of the Marquis of Bissy and then the Duke of Richelieu, the Deputies of the Fortifications decided the preparation of field works at the
Mount Ratti, entrusting the executive direction to Cantone and Orsolino, and at the same time, entrusting the contractor De Ferrari with the task of erecting other defenses at the Bocca dei Ratti.
In the siege of 1800, the redoubt of Mount Ratti, already in the hands of the Imperials, was conquered on April 30 by the French, who forced the surrender of a battalion of 450 Austrians, whose flag, brought to Genoa by General Massena, represented the symbol of the city.
by General Massena, represented the trophy of the battle.

In 1819, after the annexation of Liguria to the Kingdom of Savoy, it was decided to build two towers with a circular plan erected on the alignment of the ridge to the east and west; the second of these, emerging from the Fort at the beginning of the 20th century, would have represented the first defense of the mountain and an element integrated with the structure of the work carried out in 1830-40.
The fortification has a linear development of two hundred meters along the ridge of the mountain and is detached from it by means of an inner courtyard between the northern front and the retaining wall.
The front facing south, divided into three floors marked on the outside by a succession of windows and loopholes, is interrupted at the center by a bastion protruding, rectangular, able to beat the bottom of the valley and operate the close defense of the eastern access to the fort, also already protected by a bulwark on the summit. Its state of preservation appears to be compromised by total abandonment, and the removal of the iron tie rods connecting the front walls has had negative effects on the stability of the structures; the precarious conditions of the brick roofing vault, following the dismantling of the roof covering, have caused widespread infiltration of rainwater.
The building, which owes its name to an ancient family of landowners, looks more like a barracks than a real fort; it is curious for its singular size and despite the repeated plundering still reserves fascinating discoveries to the attentive visitor. It can be reached both from Marassi, through via Bracelli, Loria, and the Biscione district, and from S. Fruttuoso through via Donghi, via Berghini, and Camaldoli.

(Taken from “Mura e fortificazioni di Genova” Riccardo Dellepiane, Nuova editrice Genovese)

(Taken from “I forti di Genova” Sagep Editice)