Puin Fort 1815/1828

It is the closest fort to the walls; it can be reached on foot after a twenty minute walk starting from the opening of the walls upstream of the Castellaccio, or in a few minutes by parking the car next to the Baracche tavern, from here the road continues, even if no longer carriageable, wide and comfortable with the remains of the ancient cobblestones, passes next to the Puin and branches off to the Due Fratelli, Diamante and Torrazza.
Another way is offered by the opening of the walls next to the fort Begato and passes close to the Sperone.
The origin of the name is uncertain. There is the hypothesis of a “Ridotta del Pani”, vulgarized in “Puin”; but it could be the opposite, that is, from the ancient name “Puin” was taken an Italianization in “Pani”. It could also be the name of the owner of a building, that is “baracca del Paolino”, transformed in “Puin”. Let’s not forget that in dialect “Puin” meant godfather. The last suggestive hypothesis is to trace the name back to “Pen”, an ancient Ligurian-Celtic divinity symbolized in the mountains, deformed into “Puin”.
At the beginning of March 1747, on the ridge that stretches from the Sperone to the north, an entrenched line was drawn that stopped on the hill just before Puin with a small earthen redoubt surrounded by a ditch. From this redoubt a trench descended, still visible today, along the coast of Murogrosso towards Staglieno.
At the end of March 1747 the wall was pushed up to Due Fratelli and the line was strengthened with four gabion redoubts placed on the highest points of the ridge and a battery. During the war of 1747, however, were not carried out actions around this location too close to the walls and therefore too dangerous for the enemy.

It is the closest fort to the walls; it can be reached on foot after a twenty minute walk starting from the opening of the walls upstream of the Castellaccio, or in a few minutes by parking the car next to the Baracche tavern, from here the road continues, even if no longer carriageable, wide and comfortable with the remains of the ancient cobblestones, passes next to the Puin and branches off to the Due Fratelli, Diamante and Torrazza.
Another way is offered by the opening of the walls next to the fort Begato and passes close to the Sperone.
The origin of the name is uncertain. There is the hypothesis of a “Ridotta del Pani”, vulgarized in “Puin”; but it could be the opposite, that is, from the ancient name “Puin” was taken an Italianization in “Pani”. It could also be the name of the owner of a building, that is “baracca del Paolino”, transformed in “Puin”. Let’s not forget that in dialect “Puin” meant godfather. The last suggestive hypothesis is to trace the name back to “Pen”, an ancient Ligurian-Celtic divinity symbolized in the mountains, deformed into “Puin”.
At the beginning of March 1747, on the ridge that stretches from the Sperone to the north, an entrenched line was drawn that stopped on the hill just before Puin with a small earthen redoubt surrounded by a ditch. From this redoubt a trench descended, still visible today, along the coast of Murogrosso towards Staglieno.
At the end of March 1747 the wall was pushed up to Due Fratelli and the line was strengthened with four gabion redoubts placed on the highest points of the ridge and a battery. During the war of 1747, however, were not carried out actions around this location too close to the walls and therefore too dangerous for the enemy.

(Taken from “Fortificazioni campali e permanenti di Genova” di R. Finocchio, Valentini Editore)

Mappa Forte Puin
Piantina Forte Puin

(Map from “I forti di Genova” Sagep Editrice)